A roofing material that is popular in the Northeast, Rocky Mountain A Roofing contractors and roofers alike know that the cost of installing a new cedar shake roof varies depending on factors like material, location, size, etc.
Luckily for you we’ve put together this handy guide to help you understand what goes into calculating your Cedar Shake Roof Cost before you make any decisions.
Cedar shake roofing is a traditional type of roofing material that has been used for centuries.
For those who are looking to give their home a more natural look, cedar shake roofs offer an attractive option that can add curb appeal and value to your home.
As with any investment in your property, it’s important to do the necessary research before you commit to such a costly project.
In this article we will discuss some things you should consider when researching the cost of installing a new cedar shake roof on your house or business building.
We will also provide some helpful tips on making sure you are getting the best value for your money in regards to your home’s exterior while considering the cedar shake roof cost.
What is a Cedar Shake Roof
A cedar shake roof is typically made of wood and offers an aesthetic that many homeowners prefer.
This type of roofing material does require regular maintenance and will last up to fifty years with proper care.
The longevity of this type of roof makes it worth the investment for any homeowner who wants their home to maintain its value over time, considering that proper maintenance is done.
For those interested in installing or repairing their own cedar shake roofs, there are several resources available online to help guide them through the process as well as provide answers to common questions like “What materials do I need?” and “How much does it cost?”.
A premium roof system with the look of your favorite tree; cedar shakes offer more than just function.
Not only will you enjoy its natural beauty, but this type of cover has several advantages over other materials like metal or asphalt roofs that enhance comfort in hot weather and protect homes against harsh winter conditions!
What Specific Wood Does Cedar Shake Roof Use?
Western Red Cedar is a beautiful, soft wood that has been used in roofing for centuries.
Cedar shake roofing is one of the most popular types of roofing materials, and its popularity continues to grow with each year.
The Western Red Cedar is a durable wood that has been used in roofing for a lot of homeowners. It’s resistance to rot, insects, and decay make it an excellent choice for any homeowner looking to replace their roof.
Western Red Cedar has tight grain with a coarse texture which makes it resistant to moisture damage while also being lightweight enough that it can be installed on almost any type of roof.
The durability, resilience, and versatility of the wood are what have led to its longtime popularity among homeowners across North America.
How Much Does the Cedar Shake Roof Cost
The price of your cedar shake roof won’t be the same as that of your neighbors’. Because each roof is unique, the cost for every roof will be different.
As a result, we’re unable to provide you with an exact estimate until a local roofing company examines your roof. We can provide you a rough estimate here though.
A cedar shake roof may cost upwards of $14 per square foot for a one-story house with a basic up and over roof without penetrations or valleys and one that may have a complex roof can cost you about $18 per square foot.
However, please take note that this estimate will just give you an overview if you multiply it with the overall size or dimensions of your roof.
The cost of your cedar shake roof varies based on some factors, mostly generally similar when choosing other roofing materials.
Three Grades of the Cedar Shake Shingle
- The most affordable and inferior grade of these 3 types is the common grade.
- These are carved from the log and include whatever the tree parts they can grab (essentially, leftovers from previous cuts). What splits first and warps will be these cedar shake shingles.
- Selects is the cedar shake shingle’s next grade.
- The roofing shingles is a combination of the two other grades, with around 80 percent straight grain and then 20 percent common.
- Your roofer should select the highest grade cedar shingles available and install them on your property.
- The cedar shake shingles top quality grade is 100% straight grain.
- All of these are handpicked and then actually straight grained.
- If ever the grain is already straight, the shingles can fully lay flat and do not curl up.
The cedar shake shingle grades also affect the cost of your roofing, because the higher the grade, the more expensive it will be.
So make sure that if you are not an expert in roofing, you should really hire a roofing contractor who can help you identify the grade of the cedar shake for your roofing project.
They can also help you with the cost if you are not an expert in this type of project.
How Long Will Your Cedar Shake Roof Last?
The lifespan of the cedar shake roof will vary depending on several factors. But if given proper care, even improperly installed roofs can last up to 50 years!
Ideally, they should be installed properly by professionals who are experienced in cedar shake roofing.
If you’re unable to hire a professional, go for the highest quality materials only and consider it well when installing your new roof to avoid common mistakes that homeowners make when trying to replace their own cedar shake roofs.
And your low-quality cedar shakes will last less than 10 years so it’s not much to save.
To get the best value for your money, consider carefully all aspects of choosing where to buy your cedar shakes to make sure you get both quality material and professional installation.
You can get more information online about different options available when considering your individual needs for your cedar shake roof cost.
Here are a few of these factors that affect the cedar shake roof cost:
- Roofing type – in this case, we assume that you are decided on using a cedar shake roofing material in which the cost is mentioned and estimated above.
- Roofing system – the foundation that holds your roof and the cedar shake roof cost with all installation requirements.
- Cost of labor – from the people who will be installing your roof, from contracting to tearing down old materials and installing new ones.
- Time – depending on the complexity of your roofing system, the process may vary in how much time it will take for the project to be completed. The longer the timeline, the higher the cost.
- Roof Pitch – roof pitch or slope affects the cedar shake roof cost as well. This is because a flatter roof may require fewer materials and thus less labor time, lowering the overall price.
- Roof Size – the bigger your roof, the more materials and labor you need. This can affect the cedar shake roof cost.
- Replacement Materials – tallying up the total of roofing materials like cedar shingles can affect your final estimate, especially if you need to buy additional supplies, and this include the decking materials as well as the underlayment that you will need, plus all the rest of the miscellaneous materials like screw nails or other fasteners.
- Dump fees – it may be necessary to rent a dumpster to dispose of your old roof materials. This cost is also included in the estimate calculation.
All these factors affect the final cedar shake roof cost, however, some homeowners choose to install their roofing system on their own with little or no help from professionals.
If you are one of those people who are willing to complete this job on your own, then you can actually do some of the cedar shake roof cost estimate calculations by yourself.
When it comes to affordability, sometimes even using recycled materials can help reduce costs, despite its shorter lifespan.
There are many ways to cut down on expenses if you want a new roofing system with the look of cedar shake roofs.
With the proper research before you commit to a cedar shake roof it can be a great investment for your home over time.
Providing fantastic benefits and a unique appearance, a cedar shake roof instills confidence in your home’s value and strength.
With some smart shopping though, you can make sure that you get a quality product for an affordable price, and the peace of mind that comes with knowing your home is prepared for any weather conditions.
There are pros and cons to having cedar shake roofing installed on your home.
The bottom line is that every homeowner has unique needs, so it’s important to weigh all of the pros and cons before making a decision about whether or not the benefit outweighs the cost of cedar shake roofs.
For the majority of homeowners, having a cedar shake roof can add to your homes overall value and it is suggested that you shop around for multiple quotes and keep an open mind about what type of shingle sounds like it would be best for your home and budget level.