Clip lock roofing is a popular type of metal roofing. Like other types of roofing, it does not last forever and will eventually need to be replaced. However, clip lock roofs are a type of roof that is beneficial due to how long they last and their security.
This article walks you through how to remove clip lock roofing so you can put a new one on your house or business!
Removing the Clip Lock Roofing
A pinch bar or claw end is used to get clip locks off of roof sheets. You need to use a flat head screwdriver to pry out the top sheet of the Clip Lock first.
All you need for this project is a flat head screwdriver, hammer, pinch bar and some basic safety gear.
The Clip Lock 406 is different from the Clip Lock 700. The installation, maintenance and removal process for both clip locks is similar.
Steps in Removing the Clip Lock
Secure with a safety protective gear. Before you start taking apart your clip locks, make sure that you are wearing the proper safety gear.
Safety goggles and gloves will keep your eyes safe from flying debris and nails; a hard hat or helmet will prevent objects such as wood chips to hit your head when working on top of a building.
1. The sheet is a cover for the lower sheet which is attached to a metal framing. As mentioned above, make sure to do some safety measures first before doing this.
2. Next, you need a screwdriver to get in through the end of the sheet and pry it out from its binding. For the Clip Lock, you can put a gap between sheets.
3. Now it is time to detach the upper sheet from the clip. The pinch bar needs to be supported with a wood block then.
The wood block is preventing any damage on the sheet. It is important to grip the sheet from underneath with a pinch bar.
4. Further, lift the sheet by moving the bar. You should grab the sheet and pull it back. You should not place your fingers before using the pinch bar. You should consider wearing gloves.
5. Continue the process until you remove all the clip locks from the roof. Use the claw-hammer, but only if the pinch bar doesn’t work.
6. Always follow the clip lock points in order to remove locks. If you break the locks on a sheet, it may get damaged.
7. Roll back the sheet to unclip it, and remove the clip locks. Do not twist the sheet too much or it may break.
Remove clip locks from a panel while standing on it or sitting on it. While removing all the clip locks from the roofing, always stand or sit on a neighboring panel.
What is Clip Lock Roofing
Clip-Lock™ is a durable and versatile roofing system. This product is steel, has striated pans, and a lock-action rib design.
The Clip-Lock™ system is a new roofing engineering innovation that combines hidden fasteners with weather-tight roofing to provide homeowners with the protection they need.
How Did It Come About?
After more than three years of extensive research, Clip-Lock™ was developed in order to maximize the performance of steel roofing.
The Clip-Lock™ system is a product offering that has been designed to work better than other systems on the market by providing homeowners with strength and durability—all without visible fasteners.
Clip-Lock™ is a layered interlocking system designed for steel roofing which uses hidden fasteners that are installed into the panels prior to installation, then using metal clips which are pressed to lock the layers together.
This provides homeowners with an aesthetically pleasing roof without compromising its ability to withstand high winds and other natural disasters.
Why Use Clip-Lock™?
Homeowners can use Clip-Lock™ with complete confidence, knowing that they are securing a roofing system made from steel which has been developed to provide them with durability and an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
In addition, by choosing the Clip-Lock™ roof, homeowners will enjoy a lighter weight product as well as a roof that can be installed at a much faster pace.
What Are The Benefits?
Clip-Lock™ offers benefits to both homeowners and installers, including:
- A lightweight product; the steel sheets used in Clip-Lock™ weigh nearly 50% less than traditional steel roofing products, making it easier for contractors and installers to transport, handle and install.
- Increased speed of installation; when you compare the Clip-Lock™ system against other roofing companies which use standard visible fasteners, the time needed to install the Clip-Lock™ is reduced by more than 50%.
- A durable product that requires no maintenance; when homeowners choose the Clip-Lock™ roofing system, they can be confident that their roof will provide them with a lifetime of protection against the elements.
The Clip-Lock™ roofing system does not come with visible fasteners (sometimes referred to as “pop rivets”), which means that it will require some time to become more familiar with the product.
However, once installers are fully trained on the proper installation of this particular product, they will find it easy to work with and more than worth the time to install.