- What is fiber cement siding and how does it work?
- What are the different types of fiber cement siding panels?
- Popular brands of fiber cement siding in the market
- How much does it cost to install fiber cement siding?
- What are the benefits of installing fiber cement siding on your home?
- What are the disadvantages of installing fiber cement siding on your home?
- How long will the fiber cement siding last?
- What is the best way to maintain my fiber cement siding?
- What are some common mistakes people make when they’re trying to install fiber cement siding on their homes?
- What to consider before deciding to invest in fiber cement siding?
What is fiber cement siding and how does it work?
Fiber cement siding is a manufactured material that consists of Portland cement and cellulose fibers. The mixture is pressed, molded or extruded in sheet form and then cured in an autoclave to produce the final product.
Cured fiber cement panels are especially resistant to fungi, mold and insects because they do not provide food or shelter for these organisms.
Fiber cement siding works by being installed on your home much like any other type of exterior siding material.
The panels are fastened to the walls with nails, screws or staples and then finished off with a layer of paint for added protection against water damage and sun exposure.
What are the different types of fiber cement siding panels?
There are many different types and styles to choose from, including:
- Board & Batten (most common)
- Shingle style boards – can be installed horizontally or vertically depending on your preference
- T-style boards – these have a deeper profile that’s perfect for hiding any gaps behind the wall panels
- Mitered boards – this is a great option if you want to minimize visible seams between different sections of siding.
There are also other types of fiber cement siding panels on the market today.
They come in different shapes, sizes and colors so you can easily find one that matches your home’s style perfectly. The cost ranges from $300-$400 per sheet (not including installation).
Popular brands of fiber cement siding in the market
There are several fiber cement siding available on the market today.
- HardiePlank -The most common type, known for its durability and ability to last a lifetime.
- It has cement fiber boards that are covered with sand-like particles called aggregate. This exterior siding material costs approximately $200-$300 per sheet (not including installation).
- JamesHardie -Another type of fiber cement siding, which comes in three different styles (Horizontal, Vertical and T-111).
- It also has a sand-like aggregate but costs slightly more than HardiePlank. The cost of this exterior siding material ranges from $300-$400 per sheet (not including installation).
- CertainTeed -This exterior siding material is a bit cheaper than the previous two options, but has been known to have issues with yellowing and scratches.
- It still costs around $200-$300 per sheet (not including installation), however it only comes in one style: Vertical.
How much does it cost to install fiber cement siding?
The total price of installing fiber cement siding panels on your home will depend on the style and size you choose, as well as whether or not they’re pre-primed.
If they are then installation costs will be slightly higher than if you opt for uncoated board panels.
A good rule of thumb is to expect to pay around $1500 or more for a professional installation service, but keep in mind that your total costs may be significantly higher depending on the size and style you choose as well as whether they’re pre-primed before being installed.
Installation will be required?
Yes! Installing exterior siding is a big job and should be done by professionals. It is not an easy DIY project that you can do yourself.
If you try to install fiber cement siding panels on your own, they will most likely crack or break during installation which will result in having to buy new ones anyway.
Exterior siding materials like HardiePlank and JamesHardie are very heavy and cumbersome, which means that they need to be installed by professionals who have all the necessary equipment for this type of job.
The cost of fiber cement siding installation will vary depending on the size of your home but it typically ranges from $1500-$5000 (not including materials).
However, if you hire a professional siding contractor to install the panels for you, they should be able to get a bulk discount from their supplier.
In this case, it may cost less than $1500 or up to half of what it would normally cost if you did not hire a pro.
The total installation costs will also depend on which type and color of exterior siding you choose. It may range from $1500-$10000 (not including materials).
Install it yourself or hire a professional?
A good rule of thumb is to get three quotes before making your final decision regarding which type and color fiber cement siding panels you want installed on your home’s exterior walls.
This way, you will be able to compare prices and get the best value for your money.
HardiePlank fiber cement siding is extremely durable but it does require regular maintenance to keep looking its absolute best.
JamesHardie exterior panels are also very strong, reliable and weather-resistant but they come in five different styles so you need to choose carefully if you want them installed on your home.
Is siding installation included in the total price of materials?
No. The cost of fiber cement siding panels usually includes delivery, but does not include professional installation services which will be required to get your new exterior walls looking beautiful and weather-resistant.
A good rule of thumb is to hire a licensed contractor with plenty of experience in installing fiber cement panels.
What are the benefits of installing fiber cement siding on your home?
There are several benefits to installing fiber cement siding on your home, including:
- Low maintenance (requires no painting, sanding or staining)
- Lasts a lifetime (you only need to replace it if you move homes and even then, this type of siding can be reinstalled on your new house with ease)
- Excellent resistance against water damage and sun exposure
- Extremely durable and strong – does not crack, warp or fade over time
What are the disadvantages of installing fiber cement siding on your home?
Some of the cons include:
- Requires professional installation (not a DIY project)
- Very heavy and bulky – difficult to handle alone without help from another person
- Not the cheapest exterior siding option (may cost $1500-$15000 depending on which type you choose and whether or not you hire a professional to install it)
How long will the fiber cement siding last?
This all depends on how well your home’s exterior walls are treated. If they’re regularly maintained, then your siding will last a lifetime. If they’re left untreated, then it may only last up to 20 years.
However in most cases, exterior fiber cement panels can easily withstand the test of time and remain looking great for at least 30 or even 40 years without any signs of wear-and-tear (cracking, chipping etc.).
What is the best way to maintain my fiber cement siding?
The panels require very little maintenance throughout their lifetime. The only thing you should do regularly is clean them using a mild detergent and water, or better yet – use a pressure washer.
It’s best to avoid using any chemicals or solvents on the panels because they can cause discoloration and damage over time. You should also take special care to protect them from UV rays, water damage and other types of wear-and-tear.
It’s also a good idea to scrape off any moss, lichens or algae that may start growing on the siding
What are some common mistakes people make when they’re trying to install fiber cement siding on their homes?
- Not doing enough research to find out which type and color panels are right for their homes
- Choosing the cheapest panel possible (cheaper is not always better)
- Hiring unqualified installers who don’t know how to properly maintain fiber cement siding over time. – Installing it themselves without first getting professional advice
- Fiber cement panels are extremely durable but they do require regular maintenance to keep looking their absolute best.
What to consider before deciding to invest in fiber cement siding?
There are several factors you should take into consideration before planning to buy fiber cement siding panels for your home, including:
- The type of exterior walls on your house (some homes will be better suited than others)
- Whether or not the professional installation service is included in the total price of materials
- How much money you want to spend on the exterior siding materials
- What color panels you want to install on your house. You can choose from a range of colors, finishes and styles including white, brown or gray cement boards in different shades.
- You’ll also need to make sure that the contractor you hire knows how to properly match colors with existing paintwork (which is why it’s a good idea to hire an expert who has plenty of experience working with fiber cement materials).
Given the high cost of Fiber cement siding, it really makes sense to weigh your options carefully before making a purchase.
You should consider how much money you currently have saved for the project and how long you expect to live in this home.
It is also important to know what color fiber cement siding will best complement your other exterior features like roofing materials or landscaping style.
Whatever you do, make sure that it’s worth investing in something as expensive as fiber cement siding!